Laptops are an essential aspect of our lives since they store so much of our personal information. They include helpful information that makes life simpler.
You may believe you are taking the best possible care of your laptop, but tragedy may strike at any time. It could seem as the world is ending if you misplace your laptop or, even worse, it is stolen.
Technology has made it simpler to monitor and locate our things, allowing us to find a stolen laptop using its serial number and other apps. However, there are occasions when we are unaware of the most crucial detail: the serial number.
A laptop is a versatile gadget that may be used for a variety of purposes. If someone steals your laptop, you’ll want to make sure they can’t use or sell it again. You’ll to know the serial number to report it as stolen and track out its present location.
Fortunately, several excellent applications are available that make this procedure simple and easy for anybody with a basic understanding of computers. This article explains how to find a stolen laptop using its serial number and additional methods for tracking a stolen device.
Can A Stolen Laptop Be Tracked Using Its Serial Number?
We all want for the best and strive to avoid the worst-case scenario. You should take cautious steps as a result of this. Every gadget you possess, including your laptop, should have its serial number recorded. Your gadgets send their serial numbers to the provider’s network continuously, allowing them to recognize them at a glance.
Your regular serial number won’t be able to locate your device’s specific location. Still, if you contact your provider to inform them of the robbery, they will assist you. They can recognize the device without difficulty.
Though your hardware warranty states that the firm cannot guarantee recovery, but some manufacturer’s customer service departments gather the serial number when you report your stolen laptop. Furthermore, if you submit a police report, the officers will rely on specific details to back up their findings.
Keep These Points in Consideration To Keep Your Gadgets Safe
As a result of my later experience with this sharp nook, I’ve come to understand the critical steps one should take to avoid a situation like this from occurring.
- Ascertain that your gadget is registered with the manufacturer.
- After programming your laptop, set up the first-class.
- Allow the laptop’s default functions, such as Find My Device and others.
Is It Feasible To Track Down A Stolen Laptop Based On Its Mac Address?
Hyphens link six sets of two figures or characters to form your MAC address. To find out your address, you can select any method given below.
- Method 1: To find out your address before an incidence, go to utilities and launch the terminal application.
- Method 2: Another alternative is “Command + Shift + U.” The MAC addresses of all network interfaces will be shown.
If you can’t find your laptop, the first person you should contact is a network administrator. They’ll be more informed about what can happen if it’s stolen, and they’ll know how to bring it back to you as quickly as possible. They may also be able to put in place specific protocols to protect that this never occurs again.
- Each device’s MAC address is generally unique. As a result, the administrator can employ a technique known as MAC address filtering to restrict or limit strangers’ access to a network.
- The administrator will be notified that the device is no longer under your control. They will be able to follow the source of the connection due to a change in IP addresses. As a result, keeping your MAC address private is crucial.
Did you know, How to Fix a Cracked Laptop Screen Without Replacing It
Can An IP Address Be Used To Track A Stolen Laptop?
If your laptop is stolen, you may use its IP address to track it down. It is only feasible if the person who has the stolen laptop utilizes it to get online.
Additionally, there is no assurance that you will locate the responsible party’s actual location. However, you will be able to learn more about what they do online using your computer.
Follow these procedures to find your stolen laptop’s IP address:
Step 1: Get Third-Party Software.
Software such as Adeona, Advatrack, and Absolute is available for download. They must, however, be installed on your device before the theft.
Step 2: Look Up Your IP Address.
After you download the app, you will receive frequent updates from the developer. On the system, information about the IP address used to access the Internet will be sent. In the case of a robbery,
- Go to the tracking page and fill out the form.
- Your username and password are required fields.
- Look for information about the current IP address.
Step 3: Associate An IP Address To A Physical Location
Knowing the IP address is only the first step of a two-part process. You must translate the IP address into a physical place. You may need to contact the software’s owner in this instance.
However, there are frequent concerns about privacy. However, if you’re lucky, the program will have GPS tracking, which will immediately display the actual address along with the IP address.
Did you know, How To Decorate A Laptop With Stickers (9 Superb Ideas)
Can I Use Microsoft Record To Track My Lost Laptop?
To get your Find my device to function, log in to your device using your Microsoft account.
- From the start button, select accounts, then go toDo workstations; on the other hand, track GPS? Regardless, the component does not include with every workstation. However, some devices, such as ThinkPads, are known to adapt to the environment. Here’s a guideline to assist you in choosing the best option for you.
- To conduct a remote check on the PC, snap on the lock catch. ‘update and Security after clicking on the account to choose options. Select the ‘update and security area. You’re on if your information shows at the top of the screen. You must log in if you are not already logged in.
- Look for the option ‘Find my Device’ in the sidebar menu when the update and security pop-ups appear. It’s a simple click.
- ON or OFF will be shown.
- If it’s turned off, turn it on, hit the same button. To be sure, you’ll need a Windows 10 computer to sign up for a Microsoft account.
- If you have a current record, sign in to your Microsoft account. What do you do now that you’ve signed up? Go to the gadgets you’ve approved in your record, find the one that’s been taken or gone missing, and click Find My Gadget. This component may not operate if your device is not regulated. But anyway, to obtain its precise location, you’ll want a web association as well as a GPS-enabled look at its location.
- Do workstations, on the other hand, track GPS? Regardless, the component does not include with every workstation. However, some devices, such as ThinkPads, are known to adapt to the environment. Here’s a guide to assist you in selecting the best option for you.
- To conduct a remote check on the PC, snap on the lock catch.
You Can Track Your Stolen Windows Laptop’s IP Address With Gmail Or Dropbox
You may track your device using its IP address if you are automatically signed into services like Gmail or Dropbox. When your device is connected to a network, it has a unique internet address that may be tracked.
The procedures below must be followed to locate your device using Gmail:
- Step 1: Open the web version of Gmail and log in.
- Step 2: Select “Details” in the bottom right corner under the most recent account activity.
- Step 3: Choose the device you believe has been stolen and write down the IP address.
- Step 4: Inform the authorities about the situation.
The procedures below must be followed to locate your device using Dropbox:
- Step 1: Open Dropbox Account and sign-in on the web.
- Step 2: Next to the Search Icon in the upper right corner, select “Account.”
- Step 3: Select “Security” from the “Settings” menu.
- Step 4: Click over the information icon next to your device’s most recent activity.
- Step 5: Write down the IP address and report it to the authorities.
Track Your Stolen Laptop With Facebook
If the methods stated above do not work, you can use Facebook to track down your device. We’ll look at your IP address and its most recent connectivity/session once more; you can do so by:
- Step 1: Log onto Facebook and then go to Security, then Settings.
- Step 2: Go to “Security & Login” and select it.
- Step 3: In the “Where You’re Logged In” section, move the cursor on your city’s name and note the location and IP address.
- Step 4: Make contact with the authorities.
This Facebook tool will show you all of your recent activity, including times, locations, and IP addresses. Also, check out Best Laptop for Biology Majors (Sept 2021)
What Happens If A Stolen Laptop Is Reset To Factory Settings?
There is a technique to restore your data if you did a factory reset on your laptop before it stole.
- You must have tracking software installed on the device (ThinkPad, MacBook, or Apple).
- You must have been paying its service fee up until the event.
- As long as the tracing system can recognize your information, including your trace code number, you’re good to go (allocated to only active customers). Then events take place, depending on the program you’re using. When a thief tries to use your computer to access the Internet, the system sends information to a remote server.
- On the other hand, surveillance software can snap photographs of the thief, send them a warning message. Even overcome many firewalls remotely, allowing you to link a location to carry on operations. A factory reset will enable you to do all of these things.
Take the best possible care of your electronic devices, and consider all required preventative countermeasures to protect their safety.
Therefore, if your laptop is snatched or stolen, understand all the methods and tactics to reclaim it.
The article contains all of the answers, including how to trace a stolen laptop using its serial number, IP address, or any of the other options. It’s a single, all-encompassing guide for you.